Wednesday, April 17, 2013

2013 Boston Marathon

I feel this year's marathon will not soon be forgotten after two bombs when off in Boston, one at the finish line and one in front of one of my favorite restaurants, Atlantic Fish Co. 

Many people called, texted, emailed and facebooked me on Monday to see how we were fairing and what information we had on the day. Bostonians LOVE the marathon and it is hard not to get caught up in the excitement. I decided to give Cedric his afternoon nap in the stroller and walk down to Walnut and Comm Ave to watch a bit of the race as it came through Newton. It is surprising to see how many runners there are, just a continuous see of people cheering and running. 


I felt like it was important for Cedric to go to his first marathon, even though he was asleep. 

We were out walking most of the afternoon and it wasn't until much later when I checked my phone I realized something was amiss. Bob had texted me about the explosions and I called him back first. His office is in Copley Place, one block from the finish line. He didn't know anything but that they weren't letting anyone in the building and that the green line was shut in Back Bay. Once I made it home I turned on the news and saw the horror of the day. Bob called again and said that his building was being evacuated and he was going to try to find a way home. With thousands of people fleeing the city, it was going to be a long walk to Longwood to pick up the train. He walked for about an hour and had to go out of his way to avoid the police barricades. I was very glad to have him home, I didn't like him out walking on the streets. 

Later, Bob told me about hearing the explosions and thinking they were construction related. He watched people running and panicking in the streets from his work window. I know it was more traumatic for Bob than for me, though he was very calm at the time. I was happy to hear all the people I knew going to and running in the marathon were safe. 

It has been a crazy year here - we've seen a hurricane, blizzard and a bombing. What's next? Hopefully something good, like a lottery win. 

2 comments:

  1. Such a crazy time to be there! And Atlantic Fish is so good. Glad you are all safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you wrote this down. Fingers crossed for the lottery win.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin